10 morale boosters for school staff to keep momentum high
Boost staff momentum by adopting these simple morale boosters, helping create even better opportunities and providing a platform that nurtures skills and talents every day!
- Invite two members of staff each half term to shadow members of the senior/ middle leadership team member. They can also attend and contribute to the weekly meetings.
- Surprise staff with a ‘thank-you’ video from current and past pupils.
- Design one area of the staff room that is a ‘chill out zone’ with magazines, promotional offers from local restaurants, entertainment and sport venues.
- Send termly handwritten recognition letters to staff that have gone the extra mile.
- Encourage SLTs to have an ‘open door policy’ at least once a week for staff to drop in.
- Arrange for discounted offers for your staff from local businesses. For example, restaurant offers, car service, mechanics etc.
- Dedicate a section of the staffroom for up-to-date CPD literature and books, along with a CPD ‘live’ display board with research informed practical classroom tips and activities.
- Provide a ‘teacher tool-kit’ each term with resources and updated pedagogical practices, summaries of useful research papers and findings and teaching and learning ideas. Ask staff to present information they have picked up in staff meetings.
- Arrange a group competition, such as ‘Masterchef’, ‘Bake off’ or ‘Ready, Steady, Cook with 5 secret ingredients’ — you could even include students.
- Arrange a short staff team-building activity at the start of inset days or twilight training sessions.